Our full body kettlebell workout is for beginners, intermediate, and advanced. The workout can be done with one kettlebell and two hands, one kettlebell and one hand, or two kettlebells.
- What is a full body workout?
- Example of muscles used in a compound exercise
- Full body kettlebell workout
What is a full body workout?
You can create a full body workout by going through the muscle groups one by one and work them in isolation, or you can work with compound movements that involve multiple muscle groups with one exercise. Both have their own benefits. This workout focusses on the following compound exercises:
- Kettlebell swing
- Kettlebell front squat
- Kettlebell overhead press
- Kettlebell overhead reverse lunge
Kettlebell swing muscles used
To give you an idea of what a compound exercise involves in regards to muscles, I’m going to use the kettlebell swing as an example.
- Flexor digitorum superficialis
- Flexor digitorum profundus
- Flexor digit minimi brevis
- Rhomboideus minor
- Rhomboideus major
- Lower trapezius
- Levator scapulae
- Latissimus dorsi
- Bicep femoris (long head)
- Adductor magnus
- Gluteus maximus
This is keeping it simple, there are many more muscles used.
Full body workout
I’m going to use our World Kettlebell Video Project as an example of a good simple full body kettlebell workout.
- 5 x Swings
- 5 x front squat
- 5 x Press
- 3 / 3 x Reverse lunge and twist
(or just hold the kettlebell without twist)
2 rounds followed by 1-minute of rest and repeat 6 times, or 1 round followed by 30 seconds rest and repeat 12 times.
See video here: https://youtu.be/piIQjZ-a7Mw?t=52s
- 5 x swing
- 5 x Squat
- 5 x Press
- 5 x Overhead reverse lunge
(alternative racked reverse lunge)
Switch or dead start and do the other side, both sides equal one round
2 rounds followed by 30 seconds of rest and repeat 12 times
See video here: https://youtu.be/piIQjZ-a7Mw?t=2m44s
- 5 x swings
- 5 x squat
- 5 x press
- 3 / 3 x overhead reverse lunge
Complete 12 rounds
See video here: https://youtu.be/piIQjZ-a7Mw?t=6m22s
That’s the workout, you can see many more details of the clean transitions used in the following 60-minute video on kettlebell cleans.
- Get the free Android workout timer by Cavemantraining here
- Join the World Kettlebell Video Project here
- Take the $30 online kettlebell clean certification
- Buy a kettlebell shirt
- Become a certified kettlebell trainer
- Find many more full body kettlebell workouts on our YouTube channel